Sunday, June 6, 2010

Summer Dresses

I don't know what it is about summer dresses that make me feel so girlie...but they have a spell that I can't help but fall under when I wear a summer dress. It made me think about all the summer dresses/skirts that I have worn in the past. Some are so vivid as if it was yesterday.

There is a picture of me in a green dress with giant white polka dots and a big whomping white pilgrims colar. In the picture I have braids and I am smiling at the camera as my brother's little league baseball game is going on in the background. I have to be honest and tell you that I don't remember that dress or the day for that matters but I do remember the feeling cause I can see it in my face on the picture.

The first summer dress I really remember was white with a dotted swiss pattern to it. When I close my eyes and thing of that dress I can still feel the little raised dots that covered the dress. The top was fitted with a bow that tied in the back. I will not forget wearing it on a field trip to DC. I must have been about 11 years old at the time. I remember feeling so pretty. Not the most practical thing to wear on a school field trip but definitely worth the feeling I had all day wearing it.

There was another simple white summer dress I remember from college. It had a dropped waist (hey it was 1988 that was the style). I remember wearing flat espdrills with it. I can also remember getting caught in a down pour running in my barefeet across Choptank (Dorm name) parking lot to get to my dorm. It was late spring 1988. My feet were soaked and the dress was most the way there too. My short hair plastered to my head. I still remember in that instance feeling as girlie as girlie could be.

There is of course the most famous of all summer dresses.....it was the dress that my husband first saw me in. Although he met me at the beginning of October 1991. I had actually bought the dress in the summer. It was a red dress with white polka dots. It was princess seamed which is best for a girl that has a small waist and a big ol' booty. I remember wearing it with white stockings and black heels....come on ya'll you know that's a Minnie mouse outfit if you ever saw one. Almost 19 years later and the man still talks about that red polka dotted dress. As minnie mouse as it was, I still felt beautiful every time I put that dress on.

Here I sit today writing this blog about summer dresses. I have on a chambray summer dress from Wal-Mart...can't beat the Wal-mart. I feel pretty...I feel girlie and I am reminded of all those other pretty summer dresses and the way they made me feel on those hot summer days.

No comments: